As part of my 30 day Happiness Preservation Challenge I decided to practice the art of letting things go. This morning I was thinking about our tendency to attach to things. Whether we are attaching ourselves to an argument, to a physical object, a mistake we’ve made, or a topic we are passionate about, our tendency is to keep things with us for as long as possible. Why is it so hard for us to let things go?
This morning as I got dressed for work, I was met with the perfect opportunity to let things go. Feeling not so confident about my appearance, I found myself struggling to pick out an outfit to wear.
The all too familiar words “I can’t find anything to wear!” were coming out of my mouth as I tore through my closet trying outfit after outfit on. As I began to notice the state of my bedroom and took notice of the heat coming off of my face, I realized how frustrated this situation was making me. How can I preserve happiness in this moment, I asked myself. As I stood in front of my closet wearing the only thing I had for sure decided on wearing; my boots, I started to recognize how silly I was being. Was this situation something I needed to drive myself crazy over? Was I really going to let this moment impact the rest of my day?
As I stood there in my boots I decided to step back and regroup. I closed my eyes took a deep breath and searched for a mantra that would help me in this moment. My self-esteem was in question and the feelings associated needed to be acknowledged. I walked to my hallway mirror and took a few moments to look at myself. As I took all of me in I began to smile. I made room for forgiveness to settle in and eventually the mantra I was looking for emerged. “I am committed to loving me.” Much like the mirror exercise developed by Jack Canfield, co-author of The Chicken Soup for the Soul series, I needed acknowledgement in this moment. I repeated these words a few times over as I looked at myself in the mirror. Within minutes, I felt a release from any silly notion I had earlier about my appearance. I chose to let go of the negative and be content instead.
Needless to say, the perfect outfit emerged after I changed my attitude. I felt full of positive energy and was ready to tackle my day with a positive outlook. Once at the office, I offered compliments to a few co-workers as they passed me in the hallway. You never know, they might have been having a not so confident morning themselves.
Embrace choice and keep moving forward. Every second of every day is an opportunity to start anew. It is a chance to change your mind, change your behaviors, and ultimately change the world. When we learn to let things go we make room for what matters to us most. We focus on the good and we show up to the rest of the world in inspirational ways. Commit to letting at least 5 things go today. Below you will find some helpful mantras to assist you as you work to preserve happiness. Stay positive and choose those things that will bring you joy instead.
Mantras to Live By
- I manifest the things that I want by believing in their existence.
- I have chosen to believe in me.
- I consciously commit to flexibility and detachment.
- I release the need to judge or criticize.
- I release! I let go! I will let things just be.
- I let go of the need to control others. I allow others to make their own way.
- I love the woman/man I’m becoming.
- I wont worry my life away.
- Possessions do not feed my spirit. I am liberated from the desire to hoard things.
- I am learning the art of self love.
- I let go of my regrets. I am grateful for lessons my past missteps taught me.
- I am calm, peaceful and relaxed in body, mind and soul.
- I am a survivor.
- I am in the process of positive changes.
- I am the only thing in my own way.
- The universe will provide what I need when I need it.
- I am a lovable person.
- I am proud of the woman/man I am.
- I believe I can be kinder to myself.
- I choose to let others opinions of me be their responsibility.
- I say goodbye to things in my life that are blocking my spiritual growth.
- I will conduct myself in such a way in which I can be proud.
- I have much to celebrate.
- I am actively becoming a better me.
- I am redefining what it means to trust.
- I am redefining what is important to me.
- I choose to stop apologizing for being me.
- I am committed to celebrating the person that I am.
- I am committed to loving me.
- I choose to highly value my thoughts, opinions, and ideas.
- I choose to consciously surround myself with positive influences.
- I am capable of making healthy choices.
- I am at peace with who I am.
- I am in full control of my thoughts and emotions.
- I know how to adequately fuel my body.
- I am solution minded. Any problem that comes up in life is solvable.
- Everything I do is an opportunity to be completely present.
- I choose to believe in me.
- I am whole, capable and resourceful.
- I commit to listening to my intuition.
- I know putting myself first is not about being selfish, it’s about self-care.
- I will be led by my dreams.
- I will be fueled by passion.
- I give myself permission to both fail and succeed.
- I have the ability to choose happiness.
- I have the ability to see the brighter side.
- I am a sexual being capable of extreme intimacy.
- I know I am braver that I can see.
- My pace is perfect.
- I am exactly where I need to be.
- Everything happens for a reason.
- I am the Divine.
- I am the only “sign” I need.
- I will surround myself with people who bring out the best in me.
- I deserve greatness.
- I deserve sublime happiness.
- I am deserving of abundance.
- I consciously choose love above all else.
- I am capable of great kindness.
- I believe in all of my abilities.
- Today, I choose me.
- I am in control of my thoughts.
- I choose to live in freedom over fear.
- I am motivated by peace.
- I recognize that my past does not have to define me.
- I define myself by my character not my circumstance.
- I have abundant courage.
- I have the ability to persevere.
- I am a confident communicator.
- I am a badass.
Rootsofshe.com are credited for the majority of the mantras listed above. If you haven’t visited this site before I suggest having a look. I love their mission.
Ambition In The City
Want to rock your Mantra? Go to https://mantraband.refersion.com/c/2b8
- The Happiness Preservation Project (ambitioninthecity.com)